Sunday, September 23, 2007

Lessons from Ireland: [Bea posting for Brian]

Theory: When Irish eyes are smiling, it is usually because they are seeing double!

Lessons from Ireland:
I have learned that the Irish are a fun loving people. By fun loving, I mean that these folks worship fun like a golden calf. They are willing to sacrifice innocent tourist on the alter of celebration whenever possible. The Irish take their fun seriously!!!
This prompted several hypotheses on why the Irish win the World Cup in fun.

Hypothesis #1 The Claustrophobia of living on an island drives them to drink.
Compared to the wide open plains of my beloved Texas and my adopted Oklahoma, the Emerald Isle is tiny. The hills and quaint rock walls are bound to begin to close in on you. The ensuing irritation at constant confinement would force any teetotaler into a nearby pub for a black and tan.

Hypothesis #2 Anger Issues
I must confess, they don’t call them The Fighting Irish for nothin’! Dubliners will argue about anything. At first I thought their intensity and exaggeration were simply the result of a case of large island envy and a cranky disposition, but then I realized that these folks have a general need to take all human emotions to an elevated level. I mean this with the most sincere respect, reverence and awe, but anger and irritation are true art forms here. The Irish work in sarcasm and biting wit the way Michelangelo worked in marble. It is truly a joy to behold.
This intense tournament of emotion and snap judgments would force anyone off the wagon and into a pub for a pint of Guinness

Hypothesis # 3 The Savage Beauty of Psychosis
Before traveling abroad to Ireland, I honestly thought that no group in the world embraced eccentricity the way that Texans do. I was wrong. The Irish don’t hide their crazy. They have state funded parades to honor crazy. They bring out their crazy, show it off and walk it around. They share their crazy with their friends and relatives and invite it over for dinner as often as possible. We see crazy at 3 O’clock in the afternoon on a Tuesday. We see crazy in the streets. We see crazy in shopping centers and we certainly see crazy in the pubs. I feel so at home here.
Insanity has always produced artists. I should have realized with such a rich literary tradition the Irish would be off the charts.
This festival of the fantastic is enough to force Betty Ford into a pub for a swig of Irish whiskey

Just an observation!

No comments: