Good Morning (afternoon for me) Everyone!
It is hard to believe that we have only officially been in Dublin for two days. Because I haven't wanted to miss anything, and my body's inability to figure out the time difference (dusk doesn't begin here until around 10:30 p.m.!), I have had quite a bit of time to immerse myself in this wonderful culture! I don't think I have even tried to close my eyes until 3 a.m. Ireland time.
However, don't think I've spent all my time in the pubs chugging away because I haven't (ask my husband--he'll tell you that is a sure way to get me to doze off). Although we did spend a fair amount of time in the pubs and around historical literary sites last night as we enjoyed the Literary Pub Crawl with a couple of wonderful actors who entertained us and informed up with many scenes and anecdotes from the plays and lives of many famous Irish writers (Beckett, Shaw, Wilde, Joyce, and a few others). I promise to give you more information on this wonderful experience later.
In fact, my entire fellowship experience is morphing in a new direction. I am collecting and journaling all of my experiences here so that in the next few weeks following my return home, I am going to create a series of virtual field trips for my students at WRHS. For each experience I will post pictures, personal narrative, expository information, personal interviews, and links to informative sites regarding the location and activity. I can't wait to get started, but there is just so much to do and see here that I don't want to spend all my time on the computer (I can do that at home on my back deck). Some of the experiences will include: Malahide Castle and other castles, Irish history, Literary Pub Crawl with emphasis on Ireland's rich literary contributions, Irish music scene--both traditional and underground (this one is for you, Quinn), Bram Stoker and the Dracula experience, Contemporary Irish writers, and the Book of Kells with a view of Trinity College. Of course, much more will emerge, but this is it for now.
On another note--I really want to send a special "thank you" to our new friends from the bus to Malahide Castle ride. Even though everything I see and do here in Ireland will no doubt be amazing, visiting with you and hearing your views will probably count as one of my "spot of time memories" that will last me a lifetime. Like Wordsworth and his pantheistic companions who collected special memories to carry them through their times of melancholy, I too collect memories. However, unlike them, I bring mine out frequently simply to delight me. Each of you were most delightful in your unique an effervescent way! Thank you for sharing your youthful joy with us--it was truly a treasure!
Slaa (thanks Mary for this new word!) -
Kim Piper :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I must admit that the comment about your alcohol tolerance was quite amusing. But than again, compared to a young irish lad....I would assume that all of our tolerance levels would only be considered a afternoon snack. Anyways, im glad to hear that the trip is going well. And underground? Will you be hardcore dancing to some Irish death metal?
Quinn
oh heres a tip 4 this sunday:Dublin vs Meath gaa match were going 2 kill meath(literally)you have 2 watch it:)
:0) This is a comment to Quinn (my wonderful son!) and my anonymous friend whom I am sure is one of my bus mates:
To Q: The hardcore dancing remains to be seen. However, if anyone does, I'll certainly capture it on video and post it for your enjoyment (particularly if it is Mr. Hoxie doing the dancing!)
To A: I would love to see this gaa match (I hear it can be rather brutal) but we will be on our way to Limerick by then. :0(
Be sure to let us know how it turns out. We will be your AMERICAN CHEERLEADERS from afar! Have a great time at the match!
:0)Kim Piper
Post a Comment