It is 9:45 a.m. Oklahoma time and I am just now at home after leaving Shannon airport in Ireland at 5:30 a.m. their time. If I'm not mistaken (due to sleep deprivation and general mathematical impairment), I have been up for more than 32 hours! Our travels home, due to weather, have been quite an "odyssey." As soon as I have had enough sleep, I will share our frustrating and exhausting (but most humorous!) journey with you, complete with pictures.
Additionally, we will be adding a PERSONAL NARRATIVE section with pictures, quotes, and anecdotes from the wonderful places we stayed and visited and the charming folks we met along the way. We encourage those of you whom we gave a card to to share your personal stories with all of us here in America. (In case you are wondering if I am talking to you--I want to send a big American greeting to Justin the musical bartender who is in Ireland on a research grant, Dana, Jan, Meagan, Kate, and all of the other young men and young women we met on the bus to Malahide , Karen who is studying law at Trinity, Mr. O'Neill who owns the most charming McNeill's Victorian townhouses and pub, Michelle--a kindred teaching soul, Aaron from the star, Andy and friends from the Dublin indie music scene, all of our friends [from Germany, New Zealand, Australia, Norway and other parts of Ireland] who shared an evening of traditional Irish folk music and camaraderie with us at The Quay's restaurant [best food in all of Dublin, by the way], the wonderful young Irishmen we met on our last night in Dublin who gave us some wonderful insight into the mindset of the Irish youth, our Australian flat mates, Barry and Fiona--our fellow Artic Monkey fans we met at the bus stop, our new friends from the Dublin Writer's festival, the gentleman from St. Mary's Cathedral whose son teaches in Korea, Jessica and Margaret from Patrick Punches hotel in Limerick, the young Irish "Socialists" who are on a mission to save our planet from global warming, and our flight attendant who taught English in China before becoming a flight attendant, and anyone else who blessed us by crossing our path along the way!)
Cheers~
Kim :o)
"Bionn slulach scealach"
The traveller has tales to tell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
And congratulations to KIM for having the presence of mind after having been awake something like 24 hours to call from the tarmac at JFK to get us reservations on the first flight into Tulsa this morning from Dallas!
Great blog! I have enjoyed reading about your experiences and reading the comments from those you met in Ireland.
Thanks, it really was a wonderful cultural experience for me. I want to take my husband and son back sometime. Everyone should visit Ireland if they get the opportunity. It is very much an international culture and the people are all so friendly.
I'm not sure, but I think this is Dominique. If so, how are you enjoying your summer now that you have graduated? Do you have your plans set for next year?
Let me know~ Kim Piper :0)
I missed you all. I'm glad you are back!
Hello guys-
I checked out the blog and it's pretty cool. Seems like y'all are having a great time in Ireland. I'm glad to have appeared in your blog...
I find Ireland very lush and beautiful. The architecture here fantastic and at every turn you can find a truly palpable sense of history (I found out I live down the street from the hotel Joyce featured in the "Sirens" episode). The culture here is familiar, yet somehow different... as if it's something I've known all my life but never explicitly. Kinda cool.
Work is going fine; the strong Euro actually equalizes a bit after you start getting paid. Anyways... I hope you either enjoyed or will keep enjoying Ireland and I suppose I'll see ya around.
Take care,
-JMC
Post a Comment